I come from a long line of birders. My father always had a pair of binoculars
around his neck whenever he had the opportunity to look at birds. I could always ask him the name of a bird I saw and he had a ready answer.
Dad, with ever-present binoculars, and Mom
Then, when my brother-in-law joined our
family, we had two men with binoculars around their necks and two family members to answer my questions.
Dad, my brother-in-law and binocular-less me
In the late l990s and early 2000s, I was a regular on the Sunday morning birdwalks at Descanso Gardens. We had our wonderful leaders, Karen and Nancy, who led these walks and, again, as in the situation with my Dad and brother-in-law, I'd say, "What bird is that?" and get a knowledgeable answer. I was on a bird walk, after all, and they were there to tell me the answers.
In other words, it seemed that there was
always someone who could tell me what bird I was looking at so I didn’t really
have to apply myself and actually learn the names of the birds myself! Somehow it was always easier to let the experts give me an answer.
I did try, though. I bought lots of books over the years and promptly put them on my bookshelf without truly studying them.
My Bird Books and Journals



No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.